¾ cup caster sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
30 g butter, melted
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons cocoa, the best quality you can afford
¼ cup standard flour
1 tsp baking powder
200mls cream, lightly whipped
75 g softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons icing sugar
½ cup glace cherries, chopped
¼ cup chopped chocolate, chopped
¼ cup hazelnuts, shelled, toasted and chopped
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190 C.
2. Line a rectangular sandwich/Swiss roll cake tin with baking paper.
3. In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale. Add the melted butter, vanilla essence and water.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and then fold these gently into the egg mixture. Cocoa can take some time to get the idea that it’s meant to mix with the other ingredients but hang in there and it will eventually get the picture! And don’t resort to stirring – folding will keep the air and volume that you have so lovingly beat into it.
5. Spread into the lined tin and bake at 190C for 15 minutes or until it springs back to the touch.
6. Remove and turn out onto a tea-towel. Remove the baking paper gently. Roll from the long side, using the tea-towel to help you get it into a neat roll. Allow to cool.
7. Whilst it cools, beat together the whipped cream, cream cheese and icing sugar. Stir in the cherries, chocolate and nuts.
8. Once cooled, unroll the log carefully and spread with the cream filling. Re-roll, trying to keep it from cracking. Arrange on a plate seam side down. Dust with icing sugar or ice with chocolate ganache (recipe see below)
Chocolate Ganache200 mls cream
250g dark chocolate, chopped roughly
Bring the cream to a near boil. Take off the heat and add chopped chocolate. Cover with tea-towel and leave for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth.